WIP???

"Work In Progress." It's a common term among knitters on the web. It's often asked in a rather cheeky fashion, "How many wip's do you have?" for we knitters are known to be irrestibly drawn to delicious new skiens before the old ones have been used for their creative intention.

Monday, January 8, 2007

Welcome With Love v2.0

Ok... I frogged the socks. I love the feel of the yarn, but it wasn't turning out quite the way I was hoping... partly due to the fact that I wasn't able to get the right colour combination. I'm having to go with an "inspired by:" version, as oppossed to a replica. And... I've made my peace with that...

But the socks were lacking pizzazz. So I decided to frog them...

to frog: to undo one's knitting, partially or completely,
thus named as one must "rip it... rip it..." in order to correct an error

Here's v1.0














And here's v2.0

Ok... so it's not the greatest picture, but you get the idea. The variegated yarn is such a surprise to work with... the pattern has been unpredictable. I had no idea how it would swirl around. I still think that I will eventually do a true Welcome With Love sock but I've enjoyed the process, as this has been my cross-over project into Knitterhood... I feel as if I am now a Knitter - capital K... not merely one who knits.

I've also discovered that I'm not so much attached to the end result, but rather I enjoy the process. For me, it is the time that I spend sitting down, thinking about the recipient for whom I knitting that I enjoy. And so, I've enjoyed my reverie with the WWL socks... my reflections on Jaden's birth and the warm place in my heart that Genevieve now holds. It has been a joy to knit for her...

So off I go to cast on sock #2, before "SSS" sits in.

SSS: Second Sock Syndrome
The dreadful malady that plagues many a sock, and many a knitter.
Yarn from one's sacred stash calls out to be knit
before the second sock is cast on or completed.



No comments: